Thursday, February 03, 2011

Where Strangers....

I'm late on putting these up. Sorry. To continue where I left off, making these Cd's was fun and frustrating. Frustrating only because when it comes to making Cd's picking the right songs can be a struggle.

I am not necessarily great with themes when it comes to making mixes. I am however all about the way each song plays off of one another. I want my mixes to be a soundtrack of sorts that you can listen to through one sitting and get a sense of the person (me) who made it.

I made the conscious decision to put several of the same artist on the each playlist: Beach House, The National, Wild Nothing, Mumford or Suns and/or Junip. These bands are amazing and have induced profound listening sessions.

I highly recommend Beach House for further listening. I am in love with this band, I cannot express that enough.

Other then that the mixes were made specifically based on what I thought you guys would like. I tried to combine soft and hard sounds to balance out the listening session.

I am pretty proud of the music i compiled this year and I'm excited to shared with you the tracklist.

This year I had a new edition to the MixCd extravaganza and I received the first of my own playlists in the mail today from him! For that reason his will be the first tracklist I post:


1. Pickup Truck- Kings of Leon
2. Jacob- Sufjan Stevens
3. White Blank Page- Mumford & Suns
4. Willie- Cat Power
5. Afraid of Everyone-The National
6. The Loneliness and the Scream- Frightened Rabbits
7. Solitude is Bliss- Tame Impala
8. Don't Let It Pass- Junip
9. Coma- Kunek
10. Nothing is Ever Finished-Fink
11. Sun Hands- Local Native
12. You Will Leave A Mark- A Silent Film
13. Summerbaby- polaris
14. I'll Try Anything Once- The Strokes
15. Live in Dreams- Wild Nothing
16. 10 Mile Stereo- Beach House
17. Kingdom of Rust- Doves
18. Mirrorball-Elbow

I had a blast making this mix mainly because I knew immediately what i wanted to put together. The songs are mix of rock and indie with a few strong female voices to break out the very dude centered sound. I knew that I wanted to start with Pickup Truck by Kings of Leon because I find it a sweet and feisty song sung by a guy with a very southern voice.

From there I wanted each song so be an arresting mix of sweet tension and twisty beats. I personally adore the track by Fink and Tame Impala and I even threw in a secret Sufjan Stevens track.

The highlight though is track number 13 (by polaris). It is my all time favorite song. No lie! I wanted desperately to put this on every one's mix but it only sounded right on this one. It is from the show Pete and Pete which I grew up with and am influenced (writing wise) by today. The song is infectious and dirty and completely euphoric. I find myself dancing to this when I feel blue.




I am glad to share that one most of all.

I hope you enjoyed listening to it as much as I had making it. I can't wait to listen to the mix I received from you today!

I will add the other two tracklists as soon as possible.

Now time for music.

2 comments:

A. Opstein said...

Gosh, I kind of feel bad that mine was the best tracklist of them all! I am totally kidding... I don't feel bad. I would recommend that everyone check out this music, as it is a fantastic assembly of tunes obviously created by a musical-mixing genuis. Thank you Beckett! I love it!

B.Amelia said...

Ha! It is a pretty fab track. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I always feel so weird sharing music with people because it reveals how much of a nerd I am but so far everyone seems to like what I sent. So i guess i'm not that weird after all.

I'm glad you liked it. This has been a stellar MixCd exchange.